If there is a holy grail of makeup, it’s almost certainly the highly elusive perfect mascara. The best mascara would be one that lengthens while it thickens, curls while it separates, and stays resolutely clump-free and steadfastly smudge-proof from morning ’til night.
The perfect mascara also would give your eyes that “va-va-va-voom” factor — deliciously envy-worthy lashes that would make people wonder if your lashes just might be fake before deciding that you’ve simply been unfairly blessed with a genetically superior lashline.
While no single mascara possesses all of these qualities, we’ve pinpointed a technique that achieves an effect that comes close to this level of perfection.
The underlying principle of this technique is pretty simple: create a light foundation on your lashes using a non-clumping, lengthening mascara. Then add volume and even more length with a heavier mascara.
Implementing this strategy, however, is a little more complicated than it sounds and may take some practice, but we’ve put together a detailed step-by-step guide to help you out.
Some things to keep in mind before we start:
- For this technique, we recommend very specific products for one very specific reason: they work. We have tested several products for this method and the ones listed below are the ones that we found were truly the most effective.
- Do only one eye at a time. This technique must be performed fairly swiftly and you don’t want your mascara to dry between coats. Applying this technique to only one set of lashes at a time will help prevent this.
- Have a tissue handy for wiping excess mascara off the wand before applying it and to wipe off your lash comb between uses.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
- Maybelline Lash Discovery Mascara (Waterproof Formula). This is a light, smudge-free, lengthening mascara with an extra small brush that allows you to get to even the hardest-to-reach lashes. Using this mascara ensures that you add length and definition to all your lashes, even the littlest ones.
- Maybelline Lash Stylist Mascara (Waterproof Formula). This mascara can weather a tear-storm like only a few others that we’ve encountered and its applicator is a multi-layered comb that offers great control and minimized clumping. This mascara will add the previously mentioned “va-va-va-voom” factor.
- Tweezerman Folding Eyelash Comb. We rave about this puppy all the time. You can read more about why eyelash combs are essential for getting clump-free lashes. If you haven’t bought one yet, what are you waiting for? For lash’s sake, just go get one.
- First, apply all other eye makeup besides your mascara and curl your eyelashes.
- Sweep a light coat of Maybelline Lash Discovery over your lashes, concentrating on the hard-to-reach lashes that are closer to the corner of your eye. Remember to keep a very light hand here. If you over-do this step, you’ll most likely end up with irreversible clumping.
- Immediately after applying the Lash Discovery mascara, swiftly (but carefully!) give your eyelashes a good comb to ensure that eyelashes are separated and clump-free. It’s important to perform this step quickly because you don’t want to give your lashes too much time to dry before moving on to the next step.
- Apply the Lash Stylist Mascara as you normally would, gently wiggling the wand as you comb the mascara up through the lashes. One coat should do it, but don’t be afraid to get in there and touch up any places that aren’t fully coated and to add a little extra mascara to the outer lashes if you like the doe-eyed look.
- Thoroughly comb your lashes to get out any clumps. When the mascara starts to build up on the comb, make sure to tissue it off in order to prevent adding excessive mascara back onto your lashes
- Repeat on the other eye.
- If necessary, comb through your lashes again after the mascara has dried to remove all clumps.
The result should be long, thick lashes with very little (if any) clumping and they should stay that way all day and even into the wee hours of the night.
If you’re going to be in a very muggy environment or dancing the night away in a humid night club, bring a makeup eraser pen (or at least a cotton swab) to eliminate any smudges and, of course, bring along that eyelash comb to fight off any clumps.
This beauty secret is truly a Makeup Moxie favorite. If you have any questions, raves, or rants, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.