The key to looking your fabulous best, with or without makeup, is to have a clear, beautiful complexion. No matter who you are or what your skin type, these top five rules are absolutely essential to getting and maintaining healthy skin.
- Wear sunscreen. There is no greater anti-wrinkle secret in the world than the simple act of wearing sunscreen every day. Sun exposure not only accounts for most of the skin damage associated with aging, but it can also lead to skin cancer. At the bare minimum, make sure you wear a broad spectrum sunscreen (one that contains titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone, or oxybenzone) with a minimum rating of SPF 15.
- Put down the Marlboros. Besides the obvious damage it can do to your lungs and heart, smoking also wreaks havoc on your skin. Because smoking reduces the skin’s ability to repair itself, smokers often suffer from enlarged pores, premature wrinkles, and rough skin texture.
- Bottoms up. Staying properly hydrated is essential for having healthy skin. By consuming an adequate amount of fluids every day, you help your body flush out toxins and carry oxygen and nutrients to cells. The ultimate result is clearer, healthier skin.
- Take it all off. While it can be tempting after a long day (or night) to just jump into bed without taking off your makeup, you run the risk of clogged pores and breakouts. Worse yet, the bits of mascara and eyeshadow that can get into your eyes while you sleep can even cause eye injuries or infections. Take the time to remove your makeup properly or, at the very least, keep some face wipes by your bedside for some quick cleansing before your crash.
- Get your beauty sleep. Anyone who’s suffered through sleepless nights can attest to the fact that lack of sleep often results in puffiness or dark circles or bags under the eyes. Make sure to get your seven-to-eight hours, so you can wake up looking fresh and rested. As an extra bonus, studies have shown that getting enough sleep can actually make you smarter…and that’s always a beautiful thing.